Cowangie in the early years of settlement was known as Copi (after the white powdery substance found there), Cow Plains then Kow Plains. The Lands Department finally stepped in and called the town Cowangie.
The first buildings appeared along the main street, Dayman Street, in 1912. During the first years of settlement the homestead was the focal point for meetings, town gatherings and church services.
Kow Plains Homestead 1923
The homestead is part of the remains of the Kow Plains Station complex first settled in 1859. The homestead has been dated as being built in 1879, and the wells were sunk in the 1860s. The building is a drop log construction of local pine. It is one of the very few remaining buildings of this type, and an evocative remnant of settlement and life in one of the most remote and hostile parts of the state. The last time the homestead was occupied was in 1961, and then in 1962 it was purchased to establish a quarry.
The Mildura Rural City Council purchased the property in 1998 and a committee of management was set up to see to the preservation of the homestead and other historic sites in the town. Since the purchase of the homestead, working bees were held to clean up the site in readiness for preservation work to commence.
Before the working bee in March, 1999
After the working bee in March, 1999
Cowangie Historic Poster – pdf